About our Firm and the Position:
Koskie Glavin Gordon is a leading labour law firm in British Columbia providing a full range of legal services to trade unions and employees in labour law, human rights, pension and benefits, class actions and insolvency law. We are committed to social justice and to providing the highest quality legal work in an informal and collegial atmosphere.
We are currently seeking to add a full-time Legal Assistant to our team of 16 lawyers and one full- time Office Administrator, and one full-time Legal Assistant. We are seeking an experienced Legal Assistant/Office Administrator to perform a wide range of legal and administrative duties tasks from reception to Court filings, as well as assisting our senior Office Administrator with bookkeeping and billing. The successful candidate will be confident in regularly communicating with courts, administrative tribunals and clients, have strong computer skills, and be prepared to take on a wide range of duties. Knowledge of new law office software and/ or prior work experience as an assistant in a firm practicing administrative law are assets. Depending on experience, initiative and ability, this position could eventually lead to a senior Office Administrator position with commensurate salary and benefits.
Our firm is located in downtown Vancouver and this position would require full-time in-person attendance in the office. Anticipated hours of work are 8:30am-4:30pm (with some flexibility on the start and end time). The ideal start time is early 2022, but this is flexible for the right candidate.
- As part of a support team, provide administrative / legal support to approximately 16 lawyers (note: position is not designated to any one specific lawyer or lawyers)
- Reception / answering telephones and directing callers to appropriate lawyer
- Drafting standard letters (from templates) and general correspondence for review and/or revision by lawyers
- Finalizing and formatting legal opinions / memorandums and executing delivery of same to clients
- Finalizing and formatting various applications to be filed in Court and with other various tribunals / administrative bodies
- Occasionally conducting corporate searches and corporate filings
- Communicating with the Court, tribunals and arbitrators as required, including attending to scheduling for lawyers
- Ongoing daily printing and electronic filing of emails including attachments to same, etc.
- Preparation of and binding of various briefs of documents and case law both in hard copy format as well as in electronic format*
- Ongoing general photocopying and scanning various materials and filing same electronically to appropriate client file folders / directories
- Drafting Court forms and documents and attending to filing of same (either in hard copy format or via electronically)
- Provide assistance and support to Office Administrator as required which may include basic bookkeeping and or billing tasks, general banking, filing, etc.
- Occasional bank runs, i.e. in-person bank deposits and / or bill payments
- Attend to the monitoring and ordering of office supplies as required
- Registering lawyers for professional development, CLE courses, seminars, etc.
- Opening/ organizing / closing files/ maintaining hearing/ BF calendars
- Travel/ appointment arrangements as required
- Other duties as assigned Skills / Qualifications / Requirements:
- Highly organized and has good attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize tasks
- Professional demeanour
- Superior communication, writing and interpersonal skills •
- Highly self-motivated / work independently / without direct supervision
- Experience in Excel, MS Word, advanced Adobe, BCOline, Quicklaw, other law office software and systems (*Quicklaw and law office software and systems not required but definitely an asset)
- Familiarity with Rules of Court and related forms and practice directions, and procedures of administrative tribunals an asset
- Recognized Legal Administrative Assistant certificate or equivalent is an asset
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a legal assistant
Salary: Starting at $65,000 or more, commensurate with qualifications and experience. Benefits upon satisfying waiting period. If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume via email to Kevin Shano at email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line, and provide a summary of your applicable experience in the body of the email.