Background & Experience
Murray Gold is currently the Managing Partner at Koskie Minsky LLP and a participant in Koskie Glavin Gordon. He is a senior practitioner in the pension and benefits area and advises pension funds, trade unions and employee groups on pension governance and restructuring, with a special emphasis on jointly sponsored and governed plans. He is also very active in regard to post-retirement health benefits, having established the first employee life and health trust in Canada for 40,000 retired CAW members.
Murray has advised single and multi-union groups in the University, public and broader public sectors in strategic negotiations regarding the joint sponsorship and administration of their pension plans. He has worked in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. He also advises a number of multi-employer target benefit plans and recently (successfully) litigated the NEBS vs. Rae-Edzo case concerning withdrawal liabilities in the Northwest Territories
Murray has been deeply involved in pension reform initiatives since he was appointed by Ontario’s Finance Minister as one of four expert advisors to the Ontario Expert Commission on Pensions. Since then, he frequently consults about pension regulatory reforms.
Murray graduated with an honours undergraduate degree from Harvard University, and pursued his LL.B. at the University of Toronto.
Murray advises the Ontario Teachers’ Federation in regard to the exercise of its joint sponsorship of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, and also advises union coalitions in regard to the BC Municipal Plan, the Ontario Municipal Employees’ Retirement System, the Alberta Local Authorities Pension Plan, University sector pension plans, Air Canada pension matters and proposed reforms of Ontario university pension plans.
- University of Toronto Law School – LL.B.
- Harvard University – A.B. – (1980- 1981)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association – Pensions and Benefits Section
- International Pension and Employee Benefits Lawyers Association
- Network for Sustainable Financial Markets
Awards & Rankings
- Chambers and Partners – Pensions and Benefits (Canada)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory – Pensions & Employee Benefits (Labour) – Consistently Recommended
- Best Lawyers – Ranked in the area of Employee Benefits Law (Employees)
- Fellow of the Ontario Teachers’ Federation
- “Employee Benefits in Canada” – 2nd Edition – Co-Author