Background & Experience
George Dzuro is a partner with Koskie Minsky LLP. He adds a dimension of business law to the practise with his wealth of experience and understanding in the area of corporate-commercial and securities law. As a member of the firm’s pension and employee benefits group, George provides practical advice and counseling on investment and other corporate, commercial and securities matters for pension and other benefit fund clients, as well as trade unions. His practice also focuses on employee share ownership in both the unionized and non-unionized business environment.
George serves as an instructor and tutor for the licensing process conducted by the Law Society of Upper Canada and he is currently a member of the Executive Board of the Business Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association. He has spoken and written extensively with respect to Canadian employee share ownership plans.
After graduating first in his law school class, George has gained a wealth of experience in the 17 years he has practised with a firm.
- Acted for 4 major Ontario pension funds which collectively invested in excess of CDN $76 million in Wellington Fund IV, a limited partnership that provides short term loans to emerging technology and other companies.
- Acted on behalf of multi-jurisdiction pension fund originally established in British Columbia which invested CDN $50 million in a new CDN $500 million infrastructure debt fund established by Stonebridge Financial Corp.
- Acted on behalf of 3 building trade pension funds in Ontario and Atlantic Canada establishing a CDN $250 million real estate fund administered by Fiera Properties.
- Acted for Dealfind.com in completing 2 rounds of angel investor financing by 3 institutional investors, one of which is US-based. Dealfind.com is a leading player in the online daily deal space.
- Acted for 2 Manitoba public sector pension funds with respect to an investment in the OMERS Infrastructure Derivative Contract Program.
- Acted for a number of Manitoba and Ontario pension funds with respect to an investment in international infrastructure funds managed by MacQuarrie Advisors and JPMorgan and a North American infrastructure fund managed by Brookfield Asset Management.
- Acted for a pension plan member of a consortia (which included British Columbia pension funds) in the secondary purchase of an international private equity fund managed by Northleaf Capital Partners.
University of Windsor – J.D. – (May, 1982)
University of Windsor – B.Comm. – (August, 1981)
- ESOP Association Canada- Board Member
- Ontario Bar Association – Business Law Section- Executive Board Member
Awards & Rankings
- Igor Caplan Memorial Award for Scholarship, Commitment and Integrity – (awarded for graduating first in law school class) – (1982)
- “Employee Equity Ownership Plans in a Unionized Setting” – Incentives and Work Restructuring in a Unionized Environment- Federated Press – (March, 2000)